Alright y’all – I apologize for being MIA for a bit, I’ve been involved in some particularly interesting baking adventures recently, including making a friend’s wedding cake, and unfortunately haven’t found the time to write about it. But now I’m back! Let’s talk about bananas. I’m quite clearly obsessed with all things chocolate, but I found myself wanting to try something out of my element. I figured banana cupcakes would be good, but banana cupcakes infused with bourbon would be better. And I was not wrong 🙂
Bourbon banana cake with walnuts
Banana bourbon whipped cream filling
Maple bourbon buttercream
Sprinkled cinnamon and banana chips
Bourbon banana cake with walnuts (yields about 25 cupcakes):
2 1/4 C cake flour (or 2 C all purpose flour, if you don’t have cake flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 C unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 C sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp buttermilk
2 tbsp bourbon
1 C chopped walnuts
(If you’re in Colorado or any other area above sea level, don’t forget to adjust for high altitude! Just send me a message and I can convert the recipe for you )
Banana bourbon whipped cream filling:
1 C heavy whipping cream
2/3 C sugar
2-3 tbsp bourbon
Maple bourbon buttercream:
1 1/2 C sugar
1/3 C water
150 g egg whites (if you’re using eggs, use the whites from 4 eggs)
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tbsp bourbon
5 tbsp maple syrup
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk and sift thoroughly into another bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla in stand mixer or with hand mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Peel and slice bananas and add to mixer. Cream with sugar and butter mixture.
5. Add eggs, buttermilk, and bourbon to creamed butter mixture. Beat thoroughly.
6. Add flour mixture to creamed butter mixture in two portions. Mix well between each addition.
7. Fold in chopped walnuts, taking care to not overbeat the mixture.
8. Line a cupcake or muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
9. Fill cupcake tins with batter (about 2/3 of the way full).
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until middle of cupcake is firm to touch.
For the whipped cream filling:
1. Peel and slice banana and microwave for 30 seconds, then mash together. Add bourbon to mashed bananas and let the mixture cool back to room temperature.
2. Whip heavy whipping cream with mixer until it resembles whipped cream.
3. Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
4. Mix in banana mixture until just incorporated. You’re now ready to fill!
For the maple bourbon buttercream:
1. Combine sugar and water in saucepan, heat on low until boiling.
2. While sugar mixture is heating, whip egg whites, vanilla, bourbon, and maple syrup with mixer until frothy.
3. Pour boiling sugar mixture into egg white mixture while mixing.
4. Beat on high speed till cool and stiff. This is going to take several minutes.
5. Once the bowl feels cool, switch the mixer to low speed and add in butter in small chunks.
6. Beat for another few minutes on low until buttercream comes together. It will look like cottage cheese for awhile…this is completely normal and happens just before the buttercream pulls together so don’t panic.
7. You’re all ready to frost! Top iced cupcakes with sprinkled cinnamon and banana chips. (To make the banana chips, I sliced bananas and laid them out on a baking tray with parchment paper, drizzled them with a little lemon juice, and baked in the oven at 200ºF for roughly an hour and a half.)
I guarantee you’ll go bananas for these cupcakes 😉 (sorry…I had to!)